Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Rude Awakening...

Have you ever read something and think "Oh, I really liked this. I need to do this." But then you forget about it, until all the sudden WHAM! it hits you in the face? Yeah me too. Just recently. To the point where I was so filled with guilt, I was balling to my sweet hubby.

I like to read the Ensign when I feel like I have some free time and I want to read something other than a textbook. And just a week or so ago, in September's issue, I read something that stuck out to me:


'A fine member of the Church was talking with a
neighbor who was not of our faith. When the topic of
discussion turned to general conference, the neighbor
asked, "You say you have prophets and apostles?
And twice a year in a worldwide conference they
reveal the word of God?"

"Absolutely," the member replied with confidence.
The neighbor though about that for a moment. He seemed
genuinely interested and then asked, "What did they
say in the last general conference?"

At this point the good member of the Church went from
feeling excited about sharing the gospel to feeling
embarrassed. Try as he might, he couldn't think of the
details of a single talk.

His friend found this troubling and said, "You mean to tell me
that God speaks to man in our day and you can't
remember what He said?"

You can go HERE for the whole talk.


This I thought was so true. How many of us actually listen and take to heart what is said? Do we remember things or just forget as time goes on? I was reading with Ray for our nightly study and we both thought how true it is. But after the lights went out I forgot about it.

However, I was reminded of the talk and its full value just the other day. I was on the phone with my Mom, talking about my siblings and how they may come home for conference. She asked if we would come. I told her how I wished we could, but that we had prior commitments to watch an AMAZING band preform (which I'm super stoked about) on Friday and then the St. George marathon on Saturday with Ray's family. After I got off the phone, I was reminded again of the talk.

As a little girl growing up, Conference was always a special thing for my family. All the TVs in the entire house would be turned on. Not to mention our radios also. My mom would have snacks for us and little games for the little kids. My dad would always get out a huge puzzle that would take us the whole two days to finish (sometimes more). For Saturday's session, the little kids would have to go play outside so we could listen to Conference. It was always a priority.

Now, I have my own family. And we have had our Conference days where I get out my puzzle and Ray sets up the TV so we can watch it. But I wish I could say that I have made it more a priority in my life. The phrase that the member's friend said, "You mean to tell me that God speaks to man in our day...." came back to me so hard.

I thought about how I wanted to have Mady's 1 year birthday during Conference, and that we could watch it later. I remembered how mad I was that my Mom said she would not be to Mady's party. I couldn't understand. I remembered skipping Saturday's Conference and Sunday Mornings to go shopping in St. George and drive home on Sunday, thinking I'd watch it later. Because of school and work, it took me a month to watch it.

I felt so awful. Wasn't God a priority in my life? Of course he is. But then why haven't I shown it? Especially when He is trying to talk to me! And how many times do I ask for opportunities to share the gospel? Would I be just as embarrassed to not be able to tell them about God's messages to His children in this age?

I have grown up in a home where it is a big priority. I have been blessed with the knowledge of how important these messages from our prophets, apostles, and leaders of our Church are. My parents have taught me, and now I have a daughter, who must also understand. But she never will if I don't start making it a priority. Even if that means missing our out on shopping, spending time with family, friends, or even studying for a test.

I feel truly humbled by this experience and the guilt I have felt by this little message. I am grateful for experiences like this to remind me of how important God's word is, especially in this day. I am so excited to hear the messages that will be spoken and know that they come from God.


If you would also like to listen, go HERE for more information on what channels it will be on or how to stream live from your computer. General Conference will be held on the first Saturday and Sunday in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.