Wednesday, April 7, 2010

She's here!

Madelynn Shay Martel was born Friday March 26th at 8:49 p.m. weighing 6 lbs. and 13 oz. and being 19 in. long. She was perfect! And she couldn't have come at a better time.



At four in the morning on Friday I woke up to some cramping; they weren't bad enough to keep me from sleeping, so I dismissed them and went back to bed. I woke back up at eight by more intense cramping that I couldn't sleep through. And by nine I had to get up and do something. Ray and I didn't think anything of the cramping. I personally thought they were the false cramping you always hear about. By eleven they had consistently gotten worse and more painful. I called my Mom, knowing she would overreact and think it was real labor, but seeing how I have no bath tub I needed some advice to at least ease the pain. My Mom, as expected, went off on how I needed to start timing them and what not. So to satisfy her I timed a few here and there. They started to get bad enough that I could bearly talk through them and I couldn't just lay in bed and get through them. I had to walk around. My Mom wanted constant updates on how I was doing.

When Ray got home at one, I told him how the pains had gotten worse and that my Mom thought I was in labor. He said that they weren't real contractions and they'd go away. Ray was a little perturbed that I hadn't deep cleaned the house as planned to get ready for my family who was coming in a few days. I had class at two and was hoping that the pain would calm down enough for me to go. We were having a quiz and I couldn't miss it. But the pains did not get better, they got harder to the point of me crying. I told Ray it felt like the pain I experienced when I was miscarrying, except this pain came from my back. That's when he knew that this could possibly be the real thing. He urged me to stay home from my class, but I insisted that I go at least to just pick up the quiz and to ask my other teacher if it would be ok to take my test another day. We then went to the Levitt Group to do some paper work for our housing. While we were talking to the secretary, my water broke (although I didn't know at the time). I went to the bathroom leaving Ray and the lady. After I cleaned up a bit, I went back out and said to Ray, "Either my water just broke or my mucus plug came out." On our way home, I called my Mom asking her what the difference was. She concluded that it definelty was my water and that I needed to go to the hospital, and that she'd round up the kids and drive down. I then looked and Ray and said, "Well, I guess this is it. Let home and grab the stuff." We got to the doctor's office and he checked to make sure it was my water. He then said to head on down to Labor and Delivery because I was already dilated to a 3.

By sixish, when I was dilated to a six, I couldn't stand the pain any longer and I got an epidural. And yes, if you were wondering, it does hurt. My friends Ada and Dion had come to show their support. They also brought pizza, which I was not allowed to have, even though I was starving. Some of my family showed up a bit later. The epidural helped a lot with the pain, but I still felt all the back labor. I was finally dilated to a 10 around 8:30. My Mom, Jonada, Kim, and Ray stayed and watched the birth. And at 8:49 Mady was born.

It was a long hard 9 months, but she was worth it. Its been quite the adjustment and it will take some getting used to, but I love the spirit that she brings into our home. My Mom stayed with us for a week, and the rest of my family went camping, showing up here and there to see Mady. Ray's family came at the end of the week to spend some time with us and to see their new grandbaby.

After going to the doctors, we found that Mady has gained the weight back that she lost at the hospital. She also had her first bath yesterday, which she loved. I decided that she hates sleeping. After nursing, most babies go right to sleep; but nope not Mady. She is wide awake. And the problem with this is that when she's awake, she thinks she's hungry. She's going to be such a chubster if she keeps this up. She also has a clingy problem. She does not like to be put down. She's happy as long as she has food and someone holding her. Hopefully she will grow out of this habit.

I absolutely love watching Ray with her. It always reminds me how blessed I am to have such a wonderful husband and a healthy beautiful child. Ray is so sweet with her, I'm falling even more in love with him each day. He is so patient with us both as Mady still has yet to figure out that night time is sleeping time. And I being a woose and not wanting to get out of bed to go feed her in the other room. I love him so much.

My recovery is growing great. I can now fit back into my size 5 jeans - which is a major accomplishment not to mention a source of great happiness for me, since its been forever. I'm so happy to be a mother. I know it'll be overwhelming and even frustrating at times, but I'm excited to face whats ahead. Wish me luck, I'm sure I'll need it.

1 comment:

  1. she is such a cutie little girl i miss mine being that small

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.