Monday, June 30, 2014

Big Changes

June was probably one of the craziest months we had. We had our trip to California, Pageant, and a big life change - a new job. On our way back from California, I received a call from a firm that I had applied to a year before when I left Morris Casperson's CPA firm, Larson and Company CPA.

Here's a little background - I received an interview with Larson back in June of 2013.  After interviewing, I was told that they went with someone else who had more experience. I had applied to other firms and was even offered a few jobs, but at the time, it just didn't feel right. So I turned it down and focused on Ray's job. He wanted to end up in an ICU and so we wanted to just wait until that happened.

In August, I took a job at Snow College as the Payroll Accountant. It was part time and was very flexible. Mady and Carson were able to go to the daycare and I really enjoyed the work. In September, I received a phone call from Larson extending me a position at their firm. 

After talking about it with Ray, we didn't feel like it was the right time and declined. I continued my employement with Snow College. Ray was enjoying his work at Gunnison hospital. And we even thought about making Sanpete our permanent residence for a while. We started looking at homes and trying to see if there was a future here for us. 

Working for Snow College had its ups and downs. There was many people that I liked working for. However, there were many politics. I felt like there were too many shady things and people going behind other's backs. I had wanted to get on full time and possibly work as a teacher since I had my double master's degrees. However, the more time I spent there, the harder things got. 

I found myself wanting to work from home more and more. Ray and I were trying to look at different options for him working in an ICU, which would mean he would be working up north in Provo area. And then while we were on our trip in California, Larson called.

They offered me a position working in bookkeeping. I would have opportunity to grow in that field and do possible tax work. It would be for public accounting and in a very family friendly firm. They offered me quite the salary, complete with benefits. 

Ray and I went back and forth about it all during our trip. We had decided that we wanted to focus on Ray, and get him in an ICU position so that he could have the experience he needed to further his career. We decided that I would take a step back from being a provider and just work as needed and spend more time with the kids. However, it felt right. So on our way home, I called Larson and accepted the job. 

What happened next was a whirlwind. Larson wanted me to start July 1st, which at the time was two weeks away. So I went in to Snow College and gave them my two weeks notice. They weren't too happy about it, but I told them I would promise to help them find someone before I left. And so our plans went into motion. And next thing I knew, I was looking into my new office.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.