Monday, June 20, 2011

My New Job

So this is a little late. But I thought I'd blog about it anyways. In the profession that I have chosen, in order to get hired by a firm, most of the time you must have experience. For the past six months, I have been desperately looking for a job - anything to do with accounting, auditing, bookkeeping...anything. Its been super hard. I thought it would get better once we decided if we would be living up in Orem for the summer or staying here in Cedar. Since there are more opportunities up north.

A couple weeks before school got out, I found the perfect job. It was an internship up in Salt Lake paying $17 an hour. I was super excited. They wanted 4 students in their senior year. I had a pretty good chance I thought. We still hadn't decided if we were moving or not, but we did decide that we would move if I got the job.

We waited and waited and I still didn't hear anything. There was one other person who applied for the job that I knew of and he hadn't heard either so I felt ok about it. Two of my good friends told me about a job here at the school that they had both applied for working as an internal auditor. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity for me to interview, seeing how I have never had a real interview before. And I could get ready for the job up north.

With studying for finals, I completely forgot about handing in my resume for the audit job. Both my friends told me they heard back and were told that they had put off doing interviews for two weeks and would let them know. So I decided that I would just go hand in my resume and hope that they will consider it. The guy I was supposed to hand it in to, now my boss, wasn't in his office so I didn't get to explain why it was late. So I hoped it would be ok, and if not then oh well at least I tried.

I was so happy when I got the email that since there were only 4 people who applied that everyone would have interviews. In the email we were also told that this was an informal interview and to just set up a time we would like to come in and chat. I was a little put out since the whole reason I applied was to get experience. So I decided I would treat it as a real interview anyways and hope for the best.

The interview went well. I found that the man hiring, Doug, had family who was from Sanpete. I felt like I had connected and it was a very relaxed conversation. I felt good leaving, although I wish it had been more formal. But I was happy that I didn't get nervous and stutter like I usually do when in stressful situations.

I still hadn't heard back from the job up north. I was getting nervous. We still hadn't decided whether we were going to move or not. We had been praying continually to receive an answer, but didn't feel a pull towards any which way. I felt like we just needed to make the decision and then pray to know if that's right. So we did and decided to fast about it as well. We decided to move up north.

Ray was so happy. He wanted to move back and live with his family. His little brother received his mission call and was leaving June 22nd. Ray and him are very close, and Ray wanted that time with him. Ray also had a job set up, working with people he liked and making good money. I, however, was still unsure. Especially when we heard that Ray's sister, Jemma, and her husband were moving back as well.

I then decided that we should stay. I had been stressing for weeks about this and when I decided I felt peace about it. I wasn't stressed anymore. When I told Ray, he was so put out. After I told him, I had a wave of doubt rush over me. But that all went away when I received an email from Doug saying that I had gotten the internal audit job at SUU. I was so excited!

This job was so much more ideal than I had first realized. I would be able to keep this job until I graduate. They are willing to work with my hecktic schedule - with both Ray and I taking classes, having a child, and Ray working as well. And this would give me great experience as well. I felt bad though, because my other friend had not gotten the job. It was hard to tell her and see the betrayal wash over her face. She tried to be happy for me, but I knew how hard it was for her.

But working here has opened up more doors. I found out about another job with the assistant finance guy, Mitch. I got her an interview and she got the job!!! I am so excited for her. We are both majoring in accounting and this will help her so much with the experience we need to get jobs. We will also be working together - well in the same office area and everything. It will be fun.

Here's a shout out to you, KayLa! Congrats on getting the job! I am so super happy for you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.