Monday, January 14, 2013

Decisions

This post may be a little boring because there won't be any pictures. However  this post will be all about how we decided to move to Ephraim. So if your interested get cozy, if not, I will totally understand.

Ray and I knew clear back in the summer we would be moving this December. After much talk, arguing, debates, and good make-up sessions (hehe), we finally decided that I would take five classes in the Summer and six in the Fall to finish my Double Masters by December. One of the biggest reasons for this was for me to start my career right before Tax Season. Many firms always look for help for the upcoming tax season, and for someone who just graduated with a Double Masters is probably up there on the list of who they would like to hire. And so our search began.

Let me also state that our decision also was based on Ray. Ray would be in his last semester of the Nursing Program, with only having two days of classes - Thursday and Friday. On these two days, he would have to commute down to Cedar. All the other days he would be doing his preceptorship - or internship - at any hospital of his choosing. Our thought process was such: if Ray did his preceptorship at a hospital near we would be moving to, he would hopefully receive a full time position when he was finished. He would know all the right people and they, in turn, would know that he would be graduating and thus be looking for a job. After they have him working for four months and see what a hard and great worker he is, they would hopefully offer him a job. And so  Ray commuting came into being.

I was first interviewed by a promising CPA firm up in SLC. However, after three interviews, I never heard back from them. We thought this for the better as moving to SLC was more toward the bottom of our list for places we'd like to move. Also, it would be harder on Ray to commute clear up there. Note: I eventually heard back in November, however we had made a decision and I turned them down. They then called me back three other times offering me a very gracious offer, which we turned down.

I met with one other CPA firm, who was my father-in-law's (Joe) CPA during the summer. The firm seemed to have great potential and a great variety of services I could gain experience on. It was close to Ray's parent's house, and Ray's commute wouldn't be too bad. The more I stayed in contact with them, the more ideal it seemed to be.

Ray and I had decided that while he was still in school, we would like to move in with his parents and save up to afford our own apartment. We both knew it would be very hard, especially because his sister and brother-in-law, Jemma and Jacob, would be living there as well. But mostly it would be hard, because going from having your own place to moving back in with the parents was a huge deal. We had done it before the summer after we were married, and even then it was challenging.

Fall semester began, as well as recruiting. Many firms came to SUU to recruit students. I had only applied for firms that were located in Utah, mostly up north. I had received interviews for almost all the positions I applied for. I went to interview after interview, and wasn't really impressed with any of the firms. I did like Squire, who is located in Orem. I was really impressed with them and hoped for a second interview. When I didn't receive one I was quite bummed.

Ray and I started talking about other options. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted something very flexible; which took out all the bigger firms. I wanted a small firm. So I started looking around. I had about five firms I was looking at. One of them being in Ephraim. Ray and I finally narrowed it down to two - Joe's CPA firm and the CPA firm in Ephraim.

There were many pros and cons to each. I loved the idea of Ephraim mostly for Mady's sake. My family is always so willing to watch Mady no matter what. They have many toys and activities for her to play with and she loves it there. However, Mady turns into quite the bratty spoiled child there. And it seems like all the things we have tried to teach her go out the window. At Ray's parents house I wouldn't be able to expect much help and it isn't as baby friendly for Mady. There are a lot more "no Mady's", and my sanity will be question most of the time. However, we love Utah County. The experience that would be offered there would great! We have lots of wonderful close friends up there. I've always liked the idea of starting our up north and then someday possibly moving back to Ephraim. Ray would have many more opportunities up there for Nursing positions and he would be much more happy being home.

We went back and forth many times trying to decide. We prayed and fasted for an answer but hadn't really received much of anything. There had been a few times where we had decided on Orem, which Ray felt good about, but I couldn't say the same. I kept asking for a big sign, something that I would know right away that we should move to that place. It wasn't till the end of October when I finally received that "big" sign. My dad showed signs of kidney failure and it was down hill from there on. For more info, read HERE. Soon after, Ray and I went to the temple, which is where Ray received his answer, and I received my confirmation. We needed to go to Ephraim.

A little side note here. I was SO scared when I received this answer. I've talked about it a few times why I felt such a strong urge to continue my education. One of the biggest reasons was because of my Dad's disease, he is not expected to live as long as he should. If anything were to happen, my mother would be helpless with seven other kids depending on her for support. She has only an associates degree, and until just last Fall, she didn't have a job. The job she has now, is a part time hourly pay job, and makes only a little. I knew that if I had schooling, I could be there to help if anything were to happen. When I came to this realization, I knew that this was the reason the Lord was pushing me. So now that my Dad was going through this again, and I was almost finished with my degree, I was so scared that something was going to happen. Well, as you know, nothing has, thank goodness.

Ray and I felt so good about Ephriam. And it even became better when I found out that I will be teaching at Snow College this summer as well. We had some amazing friends that helped us move most of our stuff into my Aunt's house. We are so blessed for the wonderful opportunities that are popping up in our lives and we're grateful to our family and friends who are there to share it with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.