Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Graduation...Finally!

We did it. We finally graduated. After 4 years of marriage, one child, lots of hardships and good times, we are done with SUU. Ray graduated Spring of 2013 with his Bachelors of Nursing. I graduated December of 2012 with two master degrees - Master of Accounting and Master of Business Administration.
There were so many times we didn't think we would make it. There were plenty of times when we thought it would be better to quit school altogether and just get jobs to help sustain our income. However, the Man Upstairs always provided a way for us to complete our schooling.
 
I look back now, and wonder how in the world we did it; especially with having our sweet little Mady.
I still remember the semester I had her. I wanted to finish my associates and just be done with school. So that semester I took 22 credits. Yes, I was crazy and out of my mind. I blame the pregnancy hormones. All my classes were online except for my Calculus class, which was 3 times a week. 
I finished all my classes, except calc, a week before I had her. I arranged with my teachers to open the class up to me, so I could work at my own pace. Luckily, I was determined and motivated to finish before she came. 
On the day she was born, I was having some contractions that morning. However, I believed they were braxton hicks because I was still a ways out from my due date. So I ended up going to my calc class, seeing how there was a test that day. About 15 minutes after I walked out of that test, my water broke. I look back and think how in the world did I make it through that darn test??
Ray's trials were a bit more stressful and scary than mine. I still remember when we were trying to decide if Nursing really was the route he should take. He had just finished his associates and pre-requisites for the Nursing program, when he applied for the first time. Applications for the program were only accepted for Fall semester, in which they only accepted 20 students. 
That first time, he did not get accepted. It was hard to see him be rejected like that, and have him question himself. After countless hours trying to decide what to do, he made the decision to get a bachelors in biology, instead. 
It was a long time coming, but when he decided to apply again, just to see, he was accepted into 3 different programs - SUU, Dixie College, and Weber College. We were ecstatic! He accepted SUU and we again begun the long path of school.
Remember how I said I just wanted to get my associates and be done? Well, I kept on having a feeling like I needed to continue my education. So, that's what I did. I know I could have never of done it without my best friend, schoolmate, sister from another mister, KayLa Robb.  
She was my rock when I fell; she was my happiness on good days; she was my support through finals; she was my push, when I wanted to pull. She was my Ray in girl form. She stuck through all the bad times with me, and the good. She stayed up all night trying to cram in some more studying for a Rees test. I owe so much to her. 
We finally received our bachelors in accounting, together. And we were more than happy to finally be done! Except we weren't done...we had decided to do the Master program. I was able to apply to the program without any additional requirements because I had a GPA that was a 3.7 or higher. I'm pretty sure I was borderline on that, but at least I did it. KayLa took the GRE and received a perfect score so she could apply.
We found out a month or two later that we were both accepted into the Master of Accounting program AND the Master of Business Administration program. We finished our degrees in 3 semesters and were so happy to be done. 
I wish I could say that just because we were both accepted into our programs that it was smooth sailing from there on out. But it wasn't. Both Ray and I had our bouts with expulsion. 
In Ray's class, there was a student who should have never been accepted in the first place. He was completely bad news. He was a cheater, liar, manipulator, and an all around scary person. During 2nd semester finals, there was a huge mix up about cheating. Ray and this guy were called into the Dean's office to handle the situation. This particular student was one who would say anything to save his own hide. And threats were not above him. 
Ray and I lived in fear of not only this student and what he could do to us, but also the possibility of being kicked out of SUU. I had never seen Ray at his lowest until then. I can't thank those who stood by Ray enough. He had so many friends stand up for him and defend him. 
The board ultimately decided to let Ray continue in the program, while the other student was kicked out of SUU completely. Again, we were showed a tender mercy. 
In my last semester, we had to take a management class where we worked with a business in helping them increase their profits, product awareness...pretty much how to make there business succeed in the long run. KayLa and I were teamed up with 3 Arabic students. 
For the business we were to write up a 50 page report, with graphs, stats...you name it, it was in there. We split up the sections and worked on getting the data and information needed for the project. Well, as you may have guessed, plagiarism came into play. 
Arabic students don't have rules regarding plagiarism in their own country, like we do here. And as we know, here in the U.S., it is a BIG deal. After much crying, stress, and meetings with my teacher, He let us re-do the project and hand in a non-plagiarized report. 
I didn't have to go to the dean and live in fear for a few weeks while a decision was made, like Ray did. But I know exactly how he felt. And I never want to have that feeling again. God ensured a safe net for Ray and I. And we were able to continue on in our goal.
In Ray's last semester, I decided to get a job and jump right into the tax season. I got a job back in my hometown in Ephraim, working with a small CPA firm - Morris Casperson's. It was so nice to have the help of my parents and my aunt while Ray was down at SUU going to school and I was putting in countless hours for my job.
It was hard, but we did it. And in May we finally graduated with good grades, and an excitement to be done with school and start our lives in the real world. Ray passed his boards soon after and received a job at Gunnison Valley Hospital as an RN. 
Our journey, was a long one. But it was worth every moment. We are so glad at the memories we have made and the friends we have made along the way. 
We certainly couldn't have done it without the help of both of our families. Ray's parents were always so supportive and loving in our endeavors. Ray's Dad called at least once a week to check up on us and make sure we were surviving. We can't thank him enough for that. 
My family were always so willing to help out. Whether it was coming down for a weekend, or watching Mady for finals week. They were always there, reaching out with their consistent love and support, pushing us to do better and go farther. 
And our friends. I can't say enough how much we love, appreciate, and sorely miss our friends. I wish I had pictures of everyone, but it was a crazy day. Just know, if there isn't a picture of you with us, that does NOT by ANY means, you are less important to us. 
Ray made lasting friendships in his Nursing class. Tricia and Taylor, we love you and your families so much! Thank you for loving us and being the best friends we could ask for!
ALicia, thank you so much for those girl's nights and long talks on the phone. You are amazing and beautiful! I thank God everyday for you!
KayLa, oh my dearheart! I could go on and on about this girly. Thank you so much for everything you have done for me. I hope to one day, come at least half way in giving back to you what you have done for me. I am so glad I chose to sit by you, so long ago, in that Microeconomics class. I don't know where I would be today, if I didn't have you in my life. You are the butter to my toast; the syrup to my pancakes, the mountain to my dew; the smartfood to my popcorn; the sham to my poo; and well, I think you get the idea. THank you for always being someone I can share EVERYTHING with. Even pictures of things that others would find offensive, but we find impressive. Thank you for being my most amazing, loving, bestie ever. I love you!!
Paul and Kylee. Thank you so much for befriending us. Your friendship means so much to us! We love you and are so grateful for all you have done for us. Even though we live further away now, than the 20ft it used to be, we still consider you our bestest friends and are always up for a game! Even if Paul wins. :)

Ada and Dion. Words cannot fully describe the gratitude, love, appreciation, and tons of other words that we feel for you! We were so lucky to have lived next door to you for so long. Ada, thank you for those countless hours of talking, baking, working out, playing with the kids, watching the kids, helping with homework, playing, movie watching, and game playing. Dion, thank you for being a gamer for my husband. what would we do without you? And Dori, thank you for being Mady's little brother and always being willing to play. Nene and Guschi (SP?) we love you so much and are indebted to you forever! Thank you for being Mady's extra set of Grandparents. We love you family and are so glad to have such a wonderful lasting friendship with you guys.

Siblings - this would include, Joey & Naketa, Jacob & Jemma, Ethan, Kimberly, Nathan, and Justin. We are so blessed and grateful to have been able to spend time living in Cedar with you and getting together with you all! Joey & Naketa, thank you for those Sunday Dinners that just made our week. Jacob & Jemma, thank you for all the times we were able to spend together. Ethan, thank you for the days of entertaining my husband, as well as playing L4D with me. Kimberly, thank you ever so much for your willingness to help out with Mady at the drop of a hat. We can't thank you enough for that. Nathan, thank you for being you. You are always so uplifting, funny, and always willing to help anyone and everyone. Justin, thank you for the times you spent with Ray, gaining a close relationship with him. Thank you for coming to our activities and events. Thank you for those few, but special heart to hearts we had. We love each and everyone of you. Thank you!

Ray. My lover, my baby daddy, my friend. Thank you so much for your support, love, devotion, help, ...just about everything during these past few years. We have overcome so much and have grown closer together in such a short time. We are leaving behind the places we went to when we were dating. We are leaving behind our first home. We are leaving behind the place that has been so much a part of us. And although we are leaving it behind, we will never forget the memories we made there together. I can't thank you enough for putting up with all the good and bad times we have had. I love you so much! I am so proud of you and your accomplishments! You are so amazing! I can't wait to see what the future holds for us. And I can't wait to experience with you by my side, holding my hand.

Madelynn Shay Martel. We love you so much! You have been our rock through this journey. Pushing us to greater heights and accomplishments. I couldn't have done this without you, as crazy as that sounds. You were my motivation, my determination to succeed in my schooling. God knew I needed you, and I'm so grateful to have received such a beautiful, special little girl. Thank you for being you! We love you! By the way, if anyone wants to know how to keep a 3 year old happy during a 3 hour graduation. Headphones and a smartphone with Netflix. You're welcome.

Pictures of Ray and I throughout the day with various people, taken by various people:





Graduation day, as crazy and hectic as it was, was so special for us. I thank those who were there in person supporting us, and those who were there in spirit. Thank you! We love each and everyone of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.